Difficulty concentrating? Quick fatigue? Bad mood? Time to pay a little more attention to your brain. Both brain function and the health of the most important organ can be influenced by proper nutrition. We have put together the most important nutrition tips for healthy brain food for you. So you can get your gray cells going with the right foods.
Brainfood – article overview:
- The brain
- What is brain food?
- Strength cure for the brain
- Brain food list
- The optimal brain food
- Link tips
Those who exert themselves mentally over a long period of time and have to bear a lot of responsibility soon feel drained, tired, and no longer receptive. Since most of us today mainly do sedentary work with mental work instead of physical exertion, we should also pay attention to this in our diet.
In humans, the part of the central nervous system (CNS) located in the head is referred to as the brain (brain, cerebrum). It lies protected in the cranial cavity and is enveloped by the meninges. The brain is, without a doubt, a fascinating human organ. Its organization far surpasses the most elaborate computer systems. It only accounts for around 2% of the total body weight, but it requires around 20% of the total metabolic rate and oxygen consumption. It contains several billion nerve cells, each of which is in direct contact with up to 10,000 other nerve cells and receives, processes, and passes on impulses.
The brain needs a whole range of fuels for optimal function and proper protection.
What is brain food?
Whether you can concentrate on long hours of work or get tired easily, whether you are in a good mood or a bad mood, all of this has a lot to do with what you eat. The term brain food describes food that provides the brain with the energy it needs and food whose ingredients improve the ability of our thinking apparatus to remember and concentrate. No misunderstandings arise: the increase in the intelligence quotient cannot be achieved with it, but the brain’s ability to concentrate can be significantly increased.
Power for the brain: nutrients, vitamins, and minerals have a direct influence on the brain cells and thus on the brain function. But they also influence the mood, the ability to concentrate, and also the performance. In addition to the short-term improvement in brain performance, the vascular situation, and thus the blood flow to the brain and also the brain metabolism must be improved over the years. The right diet does not make you smarter, but you become more efficient and protect the control center of the body from the development of diseases.
The right choice of food has a decisive influence on hormonal control circuits, neurotransmitter formation and effect, the functionality of the cell walls, and mental and nervous fitness. Special “brain foods” contain important precursors of neurotransmitters or substances important for the effective synthesis of these messenger substances. They supply the right energy sources or materials needed for energy recovery and contain special construction and protective materials.
Strength cure for the brain
The cause of a slight, temporary decline in brain functions is often a lack of trace elements: above all, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, and potassium. These valuable substances can be absorbed quickly with pears and especially nuts. Also, broccoli, garlic, strawberries, spinach, muesli (raisins!), Fish, soy, and apples are among the most important brain food representatives.
Because they contain polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins E and B, nuts increase concentration, and the ability to learn and strengthen memory and nerve function. Nuts help keep you mentally young into old age – thanks to their valuable fats, vitamin E, which protects the cells, and important minerals. But since they are very high in calories, they should not be consumed too often and only in small amounts. As for snacks, however, they are definitely better suited than fat chips or similar snacks.
Alternative: 100 grams of pears, on the other hand, only have 55 calories. The juicier the pear, the better the ingredients are absorbed and used by the organism. People who have to work intensely mentally should consume pears regularly, especially in the cold and gloomy season, to prevent exhaustion and nervousness. If you don’t want to miss out on a crunchy bite: You can also prepare a fruit salad from pieces of pear and chopped nuts!
Brainfood List – The 15 Best Foods for the Brain
4.) Nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc.)
The optimal brain food – the best tips for clever minds
Targeted eating to increase mental and emotional skills works. Both the health and the functioning of the brain can be influenced by proper nutrition. But not only the right mix of food is important, our behavior when eating also influences the performance of the brain. Here are some of the most important nutritional tips for the brain at a glance:
1. Drink enough! Our brain also needs sufficient fluid for the mind. Even a small fluid deficit can be noticed by lack of concentration and tiredness. Tap water, mineral water, as well as highly diluted fruit juice, unsweetened herbal and fruit tea are ideal.
2. Eat regularly, because a constant blood sugar level is important for optimal brain performance. So make sure you have a regular supply of energy . Several small meals prevent a supply shortfall and do not make you sluggish and tired.
3. Choose the right energy suppliers: In this case, these are composite carbohydrates from whole grains, vegetables and fruits. Simple sugars from sweets cause the blood sugar level to rise quickly, but make you tired after a short time.
4. With the right fat, our thinking apparatus also runs like clockwork: What is meant are the omega-3 fatty acids , which are mainly found in vegetable oils and fish.
5. Sugar, yes, but your know-how! Dextrose can get the circulation going, but it is rather unsuitable as an energy kick for the gray cells. Unsweetened dried fruits such as apricots, plums, figs, etc. are good alternatives to sweets with glucose. They also contain valuable vitamins, minerals, and fiber and thus healthily satisfy the sweet tooth. However, it would help if you exercise caution with dates, although the desert fruits are also rich in valuable ingredients and very sugary and, therefore, extremely high in calories.
Related Articles :how to boost immune system quickly